SMARTfit Inc., based in Camarillo, California, develops and manufactures revolutionary cognitive-motor training systems that measure and train an individual’s cognitive-motor abilities. Designed to address a variety of populations including professional sports performance, youth education, fitness and sports, brain health and active aging fitness for independent and frail communities, SMARTfit is a comprehensive and scalable technology which can uniquely assist in the assessment, rehabilitation and reporting on an individual’s progress and performance.
SMARTfit’s proprietary operating system is capable of delivering a wide spectrum of training protocols for almost any population, and provide evidence-led assessments, training and treatment strategies to address a full spectrum of cognitive-motor conditions. SMARTfit is currently working with leading experts and key opinion leaders to complete clinical trials and to develop new protocols focusing on mitigating or rehabilitating a broad range of neurological conditions, including Stroke, Parkinson’s, concussion, pediatric development, mild cognitive impairment, and more.
SMARTfit’s 360 degree Interactive Training Arena delivers predesigned cognitive-motor exercises and learning programming that can be fine-tuned to meet the exact development needs of each person regardless of age or ability.
It has has the power and speed to match, measure and challenge the fastest athlete yet is adaptable for most neuro and orthopedic rehab patients, youth and older adult brain health training programs. SMARTfit OS consists of the following four components:
- Delivery of gamified content
- High speed communications distributes, manages and collects data to and from target screens faster than the fastest human
Interactive Targets Feature a Display and Sensing System
- Located in panels and/or wireless strike pods
- Delivers visual queues that activate physical, cognitive, and motor performance
- Communicate with the Controller at lightning speed
Touch Sensing System
- Manages the connection between human and machine
- Adjusts to varied touch light-to-heavy contact
- Train proprioception and modulation of power on contact
- Accuracy, placement, and all control
- Easy customization
- Easy Access to extensive library of pre-designed programming, including how-to videos
- Client management
- Customized programming, testing and reporting
- Wide range of predesigned programs
- Customizable for personal/groups/clubs/franchises
- Physical distance programming
- Baseline testing for dual task and cognitive-motor performance
- Extensive data and reporting
- Hippa Compliant
SMARTfit Classified as a Fitness Device
SMARTfit is classified as a fitness device rather than a medical device for the following reasons:
Activities chosen from the SMARTfit list of activities and programs rely on the trainer/therapist to decide which of them is appropriate and suitable for their clients.
Simply putting it, as in the case of using a treadmill or weight machine, a trainer/therapist needs to know whether the equipment, it’s user options or programs are suitable for the client before use. Further, knowing the client’s capability will be essential to how the treadmill or weight machine is used.
However, SMARTfit is a non-invasive fitness device so it is not going to put the person at risk as a treadmill or weight machine would. That said, the trainer still needs to know whether the client should be doing seated only program, standing programs or moving programs.
SMARTfit incorporates programming and activities for all levels of ability but the trainer/therapist must assess their client and decide which ones are a suitable match for the client.
Since SMARTfit is NOT a medical device, it will never diagnose and treat people. Rather, it is a tool for the trainer/therapist to use to train their clients. For this reason, there is no need for risk assessment as you would normally find with a medical device.